Today’s the day. Awakening has launched in Star Trek Online on PC, bringing players together with Lt. Commander Paul Stamets’s sentient hologram self. Captains will need to work together with the Lt. Commander — voiced by Discovery’s Anthony Rapp — to stop the Klingons before they destroy the Mycelial Network.
The Awakening update brings players back to the present Star Trek Online era, where J’Ula is preparing her campaign against the Mycelial Network. The story continues across a new featured episode as well as five patrol missions. A full list of new content made available in the Awakening update includes:
- Brand New Featured Episode – Captains hailing from all of the game’s factions can participate in the new featured episode “Beneath the Skin.” Players will depend on a hologram of Commander Paul Stamets from the U.S.S Discovery to safely guide them through the Mycelial Network.
- Five New Patrols – Players can embark on a mission with Stamets and Star Trek Online luminaries like Lukari Captain Kuumaarke to close the rifts caused by the Klingons.
- New Task Force Operation – Up to five players can participate in this special ground TFO against the Elachi, which tasks them with shutting down probes that threaten to destroy the Mycelial Network.
- Mycelial Event – Captains who participate in this special event can earn the new T6 Elachi ship by playing through the new featured episode, patrols and TFO throughout the next month.
- New Event UI – The dev team has revamped the Event UI to make it easier for players to access new special events.
- Patrol Systems – A new tab has been added to the PvE system, which allows captains to immediately enter selected patrols and gain bonus rewards.
- New Starships – In just two weeks, players will be able to purchase the new cross-faction Intel Science Bundle, which includes the Klingon Balth and the U.S.S. Somerville, a starship first introduced in the Star Trek Comics from IDW Publishing.
As noted, the update is currently only available on PC. Console players can expect it to be made available on their system of choice in October.